Still accepting new clients! Call (866) 681-2140

CPA Income Verification Letter

What is a CPA Income Verification Letter?

A CPA income verification letter is an official document provided by a certified public accountant (CPA) that verifies the income of an individual. This letter serves as a credible declaration by a CPA, who attests to the accuracy and authenticity of the income information of a person, typically based on financial documents and tax returns.

The letter is commonly required by financial institutions, landlords, or lenders to validate the financial status of self-employed individuals, contractors, or freelancers who may not have a steady income stream as traditional employees do. It’s used to assess the reliability and sufficiency of an applicant’s income when they are applying for loans, leasing properties, or any other transactions that require proof of financial stability.

A CPA income verification letter generally includes the following information:

  • The individual’s name and personal details.
  • A statement of the individual’s income as reported in financial documents.
  • The CPA’s affirmation that the information provided is accurate and consistent with the records they have reviewed.
  • The CPA’s signature and official seal, and sometimes, a requirement for the document to be notarized.

This letter not only provides proof of income but also adds a layer of trust and credibility to the claims of the applicant, backed by the professional integrity and validation of a CPA.

Key Components of the Income Verification Letter

A CPA income verification letter typically contains several key components that collectively affirm an individual’s financial status. Here’s a brief overview of the essential elements generally included in the letter:

  • Certification of Income: Confirms the amount of income reported by an individual, based on their financial documents.
  • Income Consistency Over the Years: Shows how stable or growing the individual’s income has been over recent years.
  • Employment Verification: Provides details about the individual’s current employment or business operations, verifying their professional status.
  • Financial Projections and Estimates: Offers forecasts of future income, based on historical earnings and current business activities.

Who Needs a CPA Income Verification Letter?

A CPA income verification letter is a critical document for various individuals and scenarios, particularly when formal proof of income is necessary. Below are the typical profiles of individuals who might need such a letter and the scenarios where it becomes crucial:

1. Self-Employed Individuals

  • These are individuals who operate their own businesses or work independently. They do not receive a regular paycheck from an employer but earn income through their business activities, freelance work, or professional services.
  • Self-employed individuals often require a CPA income verification letter when applying for mortgages or personal loans, where proof of stable income is necessary to secure credit approval.

2. Contractors

  • Contractors work on a contractual basis for different organizations, often in construction, IT, and other fields, without being full-time employees of any organization.
  • When contractors seek to rent property or apply for a business line of credit, they may need to provide a CPA income verification letter to confirm their earnings, as their income may fluctuate based on the number and nature of contracts.

3. Freelancers

  • Freelancers operate similarly to self-employed individuals but typically on smaller, short-term projects or gigs. They may work in areas like writing, graphic design, consulting, and more.
  • Freelancers might need to submit an income verification letter when applying for visas for international travel, as some countries require proof of financial stability. Additionally, this letter can be helpful when freelancing across borders and needing to establish credit or business relationships.

4. Small Business Owners

  • Owners of small businesses manage and run their enterprises, which can vary in size and revenue.
  • Small business owners might need this letter when seeking investment, business loans, or entering into lease agreements. It helps in validating their personal and business income, especially in cases where the business finances are closely tied to personal finances.

Key Scenarios Where a CPA Income Verification Letter Is Crucial

  • Loan Applications: For any type of loan, proving that the applicant has a reliable income source that can cover new credit obligations is essential. A CPA letter provides this proof in a trusted manner.
  • Rental Agreements: Landlords often require proof of income to ensure that prospective tenants can afford the rent. A CPA income verification letter is beneficial for those with non-traditional income streams.
  • Business Transactions: When engaging in significant business transactions, individuals may need to prove their financial health and stability. This letter serves as a reliable document for such disclosures.
  • Legal and Compliance Requirements: In legal scenarios, such as divorce proceedings or child support cases, a CPA income verification letter might be required to establish financial capabilities and responsibilities.

Trends We've Seen at Dimov Tax

There has been an increasing trend of banks, landlords, and/or lenders asking self-employed individuals for letters from a CPA to verify, certify, vouch for, or attempt to estimate the income of the applicant. This income statement is then assessed by the lender when determining whether the loan should be approved.

Some examples of requests (variable wording but roughly the same request) include:

  • CPA-certified letter projecting income
  • CPA letter verifying income is consistent with prior years
  • CPA verification of employment
  • CPA verification of income
  • Financial projection/estimate
  • CPA Income Projection
  • 12 or 18 month Income Projection
  • Financial statement signed by CPA
  • Statement of Net Worth

Sometimes, the lender also requests this CPA letter to be notarized (the CPA must sign in front of a notary).

With the right disclaimer, it is possible to both meet the paperwork and compliance needs of the bank while also preserving the integrity of the CPA.

The types of persons being asked for such types of letters include:

  • Contractors
  • Those paid on 1099
  • Persons owning a single-member LLC or other small business
  • Freelancers
  • Self-employed individuals

If you have been asked for this type of letter, please contact us and we will complete it for you. We serve all 50 states and are Federally licensed.

CPA Income Verification Letter FAQs

A CPA income verification letter is a document prepared by a certified public accountant that verifies the income of an individual, typically for financial verification purposes required by lenders, landlords, or government bodies.

This letter is often required by self-employed individuals, freelancers, contractors, and small business owners who need to prove their income for loans, rental applications, or legal compliance.

To obtain this letter, you need to contact a certified public accountant (CPA), like Dimov Tax, who can prepare and sign the document. You’ll need to provide relevant financial documents, such as tax returns, bank statements, and any other proof of income.

The letter typically includes the certification of your income, proof of income consistency over several years, verification of employment or business operations, and financial projections or estimates.

The time it takes can vary depending on the availability of your financial records and the CPA’s schedule. Generally, it could take a few days to a week after providing all necessary documentation.

Not always, but it is commonly required for individuals with non-traditional employment, such as freelancers or self-employed individuals, to provide a more formal proof of income.

Yes, a CPA income verification letter can be used for multiple applications as long as it is still recent and relevant. However, some entities may require a letter dated within a specific timeframe.

Need some help? Please fill out the form below and one of our specialists will get back to you immediately.

"*" indicates required fields

✓ Valid number ✕ Invalid number