Still accepting new clients! Call (866) 681-2140

Form 1099-C and 982

  • Home
  • Form 1099-C and 982

Eliminating or reducing tax from 1099-C


Form 1099-C and 982

If you have had debt canceled or forgiven by a creditor, you may receive a Form 1099-C, also known as the Cancellation of Debt. It’s important to understand the tax implications associated with this form to ensure compliance with IRS regulations. Let us guide you through the basics of Form 1099-C and help you navigate the potential tax consequences.

What is Form 1099-C?

Form 1099-C is issued by a creditor when they cancel or forgive a debt of $600 or more. The form reports the canceled debt amount, which is considered taxable income in most cases. It’s important to report this correctly on your tax return, as failure to do so may result in IRS penalties and interest.

Key Points to Consider:

  • Taxable Income: The amount reported on Form 1099-C is generally considered taxable income. It is important to understand that canceled debt is treated as income and may increase your overall tax liability.
  • Exceptions and Exclusions: Certain situations may allow you to exclude the canceled debt from your taxable income. These exceptions include debts discharged through bankruptcy, insolvency, or certain qualified farm or real property indebtedness.
  • Accuracy: Form 1099-C should be provided to you by the creditor, and a copy is also sent to the IRS. It’s crucial to review the information on the form for accuracy. If you believe there are errors, contact the creditor to address the issue promptly.

How to reduce your tax liability?

Form 982, Reduction of Tax Attributes Due to Discharge of Indebtedness, is the key form used to claim income exclusions and reduce your tax liability. It allows you to reduce certain tax attributes, such as credits or deductions, as a result of the discharged debt.

Qualifying Exclusions:

  • Bankruptcy: If the canceled debt was discharged through a bankruptcy proceeding, you may qualify for the exclusion.
  • Insolvency: If you were insolvent (your total liabilities exceeded your total assets) at the time the debt was canceled, you may exclude the canceled debt from taxable income. Detailed calculations and documentation are required to claim this exclusion properly.
  • Qualified Real Property Business Indebtedness: Certain canceled debts related to qualified real property business indebtedness may be eligible for exclusion.

Form 982 should be filed with your federal tax return for the year in which the debt was canceled or forgiven. It’s important to accurately complete the form and provide all required information to support your claim for debt exclusion.

How We Can Assist:

  • Expert Guidance: Our team of experienced tax professionals can provide expert guidance on Form 982 and the exclusions that may apply to your specific situation. We’ll help you understand the requirements, determine eligibility, and maximize your tax benefits.
  • Exclusion Determination: If you believe you qualify for an exclusion, such as bankruptcy or insolvency, we can assess your financial situation and provide the necessary calculations and documentation to support your claim on Form 982.
  • Tax Return Preparation: Our team will assist you in accurately completing Form 982 along with all required forms and schedules. We will also ensure all necessary information is included to support your position, which will reduce the risk of IRS penalties or audits.

Contact Us Today To Save Taxes

Our team of knowledgeable tax professionals can ensure compliance, explore debt exclusion options, and advise you on how to minimizing your tax liabilities. Reach out to us below and we will handle everything with the maximum tax benefit.


Need help with Form 1099-C and 982?

Call us today at (866) 681-2140, email us at, or fill out the form and we’ll get in touch immediately.

"*" indicates required fields

✓ Valid number ✕ Invalid number

Award-winning global customer service.


Dimov Tax is rated 5 stars on all major review platforms including Google, Yelp, Facebook, Angie’s List, Better Business Bureau, TaxBuzz, Thumbtack, Upwork, Bark, and much more.