Still accepting new clients! Call (866) 681-2140

Accounting and Tax Filings Services for K1 Visa Holders

  • Home
  • Accounting and Tax Filings Services for K1 Visa Holders

Accounting and Tax Filings Services for K1 Visa Holders


A K1 visa is a U.S. visa that allows the fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen to enter the United States for the purpose of getting married. From a tax perspective, there are a few key considerations:

  • Residency Status: Your tax residency status can impact how your income is taxed in the United States. If you are physically present in the U.S. for a substantial portion of the tax year, you might be considered a resident for tax purposes and subject to U.S. tax laws on your worldwide income. If you are not physically present for a substantial portion of the year, you might be considered a nonresident for tax purposes and generally taxed only on US-source income.
  • Income Reporting: If you become a U.S. tax resident, you’ll be required to report your worldwide income on your U.S. tax return. This includes income from foreign sources, such as wages, interest, dividends, and rental income. In addition to income, you may also be required to disclose ownership interest in foreign corporations, LLCs, or passive investment vehicles such as PFICs.
  • Foreign Financial Accounts: If you have foreign bank accounts or other financial accounts, you might have to report these accounts to the IRS, depending on the account balances. Failure to report these accounts properly could result in penalties.
  • Tax Treaty Considerations: Some countries have tax treaties with the United States that can affect how certain types of income are taxed. These treaties can influence matters like tax rates and the eligibility for certain deductions or exemptions.
  • Social Security and Medicare Taxes: Depending on your situation, you might be subject to Social Security and Medicare taxes (FICA taxes) on your wages. However, some visa categories, including K1 visas, might be exempt from these taxes under certain conditions.
  • Marital Status: After you get married, your filing status can change. You’ll need to determine whether it’s more advantageous to file jointly with your spouse or separately based on your individual circumstances.
  • Tax Credits and Deductions: As a resident, you may be eligible for various tax credits and deductions, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or the Child Tax Credit, if you have qualifying dependents.

Our Comprehensive CPA Services:

  • Residency Determination: Advising tax residency status in the U.S. and the potential implications for your tax obligations.
  • Tax Planning for Nonresidents: Providing guidance on how to optimize their tax situation as nonresidents, including strategies to minimize U.S. tax liabilities on US-source income.
  • Foreign Income Reporting: Assisting with reporting foreign income, assets, and financial accounts to comply with U.S. tax regulations, such as FBAR (Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts) and FATCA (Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act) reporting.
  • Tax Treaty Analysis: Reviewing any applicable tax treaties between the U.S. and your home country to determine how specific types of income are treated and whether any tax benefits or exemptions apply.
  • Preparation of U.S. Tax Returns: Preparing and filing U.S. tax returns, including federal and state tax returns, taking into consideration any income earned both within and outside the U.S.
  • Foreign Tax Credit Planning: Advising on claiming foreign tax credits for taxes paid to their home country, to prevent double taxation on the same income.
  • Tax Compliance for Dependents: Providing guidance on tax implications for any dependents accompanying the K1 visa holder, including children, and assisting in preparing your tax returns.
  • Optimal Filing Status: Advising on the most advantageous filing status after marriage (married filing jointly or separately) based on the couple’s individual financial situation.
  • Education Credits and Deductions: Identifying potential education-related tax credits or deductions that may apply if the K1 visa holder or dependents are pursuing education in the U.S.
  • Communication with Tax Authorities: Representing clients in communications with tax authorities, responding to notices, and assisting with any tax audits or inquiries.
  • Year-End Tax Review: Conducting a year-end tax review to identify any last-minute tax-saving opportunities and ensure compliance with all relevant tax regulations.
  • Tax Projection Analysis: Providing estimates of potential tax liabilities for the upcoming tax year, helping you plan and budget accordingly.

Contact Us Today:

As a CPA firm with many clients who are K1 visa holders, we understand that K1 visa holders often encounter unique financial challenges as they embark on their new journey. Our specialized knowledge allows us to provide tailored guidance that addresses the intricacies of taxation. If you need help with any of the above, feel free to reach out to us below and find out more.

Need help with Accounting and Tax Filings Services for K1 Visa Holders?

Call us today at (866) 681-2140, email us at, or fill out the form and we’ll get in touch immediately.

"*" indicates required fields

✓ Valid number ✕ Invalid number

Award-winning global customer service.


Dimov Tax is rated 5 stars on all major review platforms including Google, Yelp, Facebook, Angie’s List, Better Business Bureau, TaxBuzz, Thumbtack, Upwork, Bark, and much more.