Still accepting new clients! Call (866) 681-2140

What Is FBAR? Comprehensive Guide to Foreign Bank Account Reporting

Listen up if you’ve got money stashed away in foreign bank accounts. There’s this thing called FBAR that you need to know about. What is FBAR? It’s not just some fancy acronym—it’s a critical reporting requirement that can save you from serious penalties.

This post will explain”what FBAR is,” who needs to file it, and how to stay compliant.

Key Takeaways:

  • FBAR Requirement: U.S. persons must file an FBAR if they have foreign financial accounts exceeding a total of $10,000 at any point in the year.
  • Who Must File: This includes U.S. citizens, residents, and entities like corporations and trusts that have interests in or authority over foreign accounts.
  • Types of Accounts: FBAR covers bank accounts, brokerage accounts, mutual funds, and other financial accounts abroad.
  • Filing Details: The FBAR is filed electronically by April 15 each year, with an automatic extension to October 15.
  • Penalties: Non-compliance can lead to severe penalties, up to $10,000 for non-willful violations and greater for willful violations.

What Is FBAR?

If you’re like most Americans, you’ve probably never heard of FBAR. But if you have a foreign bank account or other financial account overseas, you must understand FBAR reporting requirements

FBAR stands for the Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts. It’s a mandatory form that certain U.S. persons must file every year to disclose their foreign financial accounts. 

The purpose is to combat tax evasion, money laundering, and other illicit activities. By requiring Americans to report their foreign accounts, the government can better track funds moving in and out of the country.

FBAR definition

So, exactly what is FBAR? The IRS defines it as a disclosure form for certain foreign financial accounts, including bank accounts, brokerage accounts, and mutual funds. 

You file the FBAR electronically with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) using Form 114. It’s separate from your federal income tax return. 

The FBAR is part of the Bank Secrecy Act, which Congress passed way back in 1970. The goal was to prevent foreign financial accounts from being used illicitly.

Who needs to file FBAR?

Not everyone with a foreign account needs to file an FBAR. There are thresholds and requirements. In general, you must file if you are a “U.S. person” with a financial interest in, or signature authority over, foreign accounts that exceeded $10,000 in total value at any time during the calendar year. 

U.S. persons include citizens, residents, corporations, partnerships, LLCs, trusts, and estates. Even minors are subject to FBAR if they meet the criteria. You’re required to report accounts located in any foreign country, even if you only visit rarely or have never been there. The location of the account is what matters, not your physical presence.

What is FBAR filing requirement?

To determine if you meet the FBAR filing threshold, you need to calculate the highest aggregate balance across all your foreign accounts for the year. Let’s say you have 3 accounts:

  • A savings account in Mexico that never went above $5,000
  • An investment account in Germany that peaked at $7,000
  • A checking account in Canada that hit $12,000 for a few days

Even though none of the accounts individually crossed $10,000, when you add the peak values together, the total is $24,000. That means you have to file an FBAR and report all your foreign accounts, even those with a low balance. 

The $10,000 threshold is an aggregate amount, not a per-account minimum. There are a few exceptions to the FBAR filing requirements, such as certain accounts jointly owned by spouses. But in general, it’s best to file the form if you’re unsure. The penalties for non-compliance can be severe.

Types of Accounts Reported on FBAR

FBAR reporting covers a wide range of foreign financial accounts. Here’s a rundown of the most common ones and some real-world examples.

Foreign bank accounts

A foreign bank account is the most straightforward type of account reported on FBAR. This includes savings accounts, checking accounts, and time deposits (like CDs) held at banks outside the U.S. 

For example, let’s say you retire to Costa Rica and open a savings account at Banco Nacional to pay your daily living expenses. You transfer $20,000 into the account from your U.S. funds. Because the balance exceeds $10,000, you must report the account on your FBAR. It doesn’t matter that you’re using the money for personal expenses. 

The fact that it’s in a foreign bank requires disclosure. Even if your foreign accounts are in U.S. dollars, they must be reported. The location of the account, not the currency, triggers the FBAR requirement.

Foreign financial accounts

Besides traditional bank accounts, you must also report other types of financial accounts held abroad. This includes brokerage accounts for trading stocks and securities. Mutual fund accounts also fall under FBAR rules. 

If you own shares of a mutual fund or similar pooled investment based outside the U.S., you need to disclose it. Life insurance policies with a cash value are also reportable if the issuer is a foreign entity. The same goes for annuity contracts. 

Even accounts held at a foreign branch of a U.S. financial institution are considered foreign accounts for FBAR purposes. Don’t assume you’re exempt just because the company is American-owned.

Signature authority

Here’s where many people get tripped up on FBAR: you must report any foreign account you have signature authority over, even if you don’t own it. Signature authority means you can control the disposition of the account’s assets by direct communication with the institution. In other words, you can withdraw and transfer without needing additional approval. 

This often applies to business accounts. For example, if you sign up for your company’s foreign bank account, you must report this on your personal FBAR, even though the funds belong to your employer. 

Many foreign financial institutions appoint a “power of attorney” to act on behalf of an account. If you’ve been given this designation, you likely must file an FBAR, even if you’ve never exercised the power.

Jointly owned accounts

Another common scenario is a jointly owned foreign account. Let’s say you and your spouse have a savings account together in France. You both have to report the account on your individual FBARs. 

It doesn’t matter if only one of you opened the account or if only one of you uses it. The fact that you both own it means you both have to disclose it. 

If you jointly own an account with someone other than your spouse, you still have to report your share of the account. You don’t have to list the other owner, but you do have to identify your percentage ownership.

Retirement accounts

Generally, you don’t have to report foreign financial accounts held in an IRA or 401(k). Those accounts are exempt from FBAR rules. However, if you have a self-directed IRA or 401(k) that holds foreign assets, you may have to file an FBAR for the underlying accounts. 

It depends on how much control you have over the investments. For example, let’s say your IRA owns a foreign mutual fund. If you can buy and sell shares of the fund directly, you likely have to report it on your FBAR. 

But if your IRA is managed by a custodian and you don’t have direct access to the foreign accounts, you probably don’t have to file an FBAR for them. As with many IRS rules, there are nuances and exceptions to the retirement account exclusion. If you’re unsure whether your foreign IRA or 401(k) holdings are reportable, it’s best to consult with a tax professional.

FBAR Filing Process

Now that you know the basics of what FBAR is, let’s dive into the nitty-gritty of actually filing the form. Here’s what you need to know to stay compliant and avoid penalties.

Filing deadline

The FBAR is an annual report due on April 15 (or the next business day if April 15 falls on a weekend or holiday). If you don’t file by then, you get an automatic extension to October 15. You don’t need to request the extension or notify the IRS. It’s granted automatically to all filers. Remember that the FBAR deadline differs from the tax return deadline. Even if you extend your tax return, you must file your FBAR by the April 15 due date (or the October 15 extended due date).

Filing methods

The FBAR must be filed electronically through the BSA E-Filing System. You can’t mail in a paper form anymore. 

To e-file, you must create an account on the BSA E-Filing System website. You’ll need to provide some personal information, like your name, address, and Social Security number. Once your account is set up, you can enter your FBAR data directly into the online form. 

The system will guide you through each section and help you report all the necessary details about your foreign accounts. If you have a lot of accounts or complex holdings, you might want to work with an accountant or tax preparer with experience with FBAR filings. They can ensure you’re reporting everything correctly and help you avoid mistakes.

Required information

For each foreign account you’re reporting, you’ll need to provide the following information on your FBAR:

  • Name and address of the foreign financial institution
  • Account number
  • Type of account (bank, securities, other)
  • Maximum value during the calendar year

You must also identify the account owner (yourself or a joint owner) and any other individuals with signature authority. If you have 25 or more foreign accounts, you don’t have to report each one individually. You can just check a box indicating that you have 25+ accounts and include the number of accounts in the appropriate sections.


As mentioned, all FBAR filers get an automatic extension to October 15. You don’t need to file any forms or pay any fees to get this extra time. However, it’s important to note that the extension is only for filing the FBAR itself. It doesn’t give you more time to report your foreign accounts on your tax return (if required) or pay any taxes due. 

If you need an extension for your tax return, you must request it separately using Form 4868. The FBAR extension is independent of your tax filing obligations.

Amending FBAR

If you make a mistake on your FBAR or forget to include an account, you can amend your filing using the BSA E-Filing System. To amend, just select the “Amend FBAR” option in the system and make the necessary changes to your original filing. You’ll need to include an explanation of what you’re changing and why. 

There’s no penalty for amending an FBAR if you’re correcting an honest mistake and not trying to hide something. In fact, the IRS encourages taxpayers to amend their FBARs if they discover an error. 

However, if you willfully fail to report an account or underreport the balance, amending your FBAR won’t necessarily protect you from penalties. The IRS can still investigate and impose fines if it believes you intentionally violated the rules.

FBAR Penalties and Consequences

Speaking of penalties, let’s consider what happens if you don’t file an FBAR or file it incorrectly. The consequences can be severe, so it’s important to understand the risks.

Types of FBAR penalties

There are two main types of FBAR penalties: non-willful and willful. Non-willful violations occur when you fail to file an FBAR or file an inaccurate FBAR due to negligence or mistake. In other words, you didn’t intend to break the rules but still didn’t comply with the requirements. 

The penalty for a non-willful violation is $10,000 per account per year. So if you have three unreported accounts and you fail to file FBARs for two years, you could owe up to $60,000 in penalties. 

Willful violations are much more serious. They occur when you knowingly and intentionally fail to file an FBAR or file a false FBAR. The penalty for a willful violation is the greater of $100,000 or 50% of the account balance at the time of the violation. 

This penalty applies per account per year, so the total can add up quickly. For example, let’s say you have a $1 million account in Switzerland that you willfully fail to report on your FBAR. The penalty could be $500,000 per year, meaning you could owe more in penalties than the entire balance of the account.

Calculating FBAR penalties

The IRS has some discretion in calculating FBAR penalties, especially for non-willful violations. They’ll look at factors like the severity of the violation, your compliance history, and whether you cooperated with their investigation. In some cases, the IRS may choose to waive the penalty entirely if you can show that you had reasonable cause for the violation and acted in good faith. 

But in general, it’s best to assume that the IRS will impose the maximum penalty allowed by law. They take FBAR compliance very seriously and have been cracking down on violators in recent years.

Avoiding FBAR penalties

The best way to avoid FBAR penalties is simple: file your FBAR accurately and on time every year. If you’re unsure whether you need to file or what accounts to report, consult a qualified tax professional like Dimov Tax. If you discover that you should have filed an FBAR in a previous year but didn’t, you can use the IRS’s Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures to catch up. 

This program allows you to file delinquent FBARs and sometimes pay a reduced penalty (or no penalty). To qualify for the Streamlined Procedures, you must certify that your failure to file was non-willful. You must also file amended tax returns for the years in question and pay any taxes and interest due. 

If you don’t qualify for the Streamlined Procedures or are under IRS investigation, you may need to enter the Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program (OVDP) instead. This program allows you to come forward and report your foreign accounts in exchange for reduced penalties and protection from criminal prosecution. 

The key with both the Streamlined Procedures and the OVDP is to come forward before the IRS contacts you. If they discover your unreported accounts through their own investigation, you’ll face much harsher penalties and even possible jail time. 

So if you’ve been hiding foreign accounts or ignoring your FBAR obligations, it’s time to come clean. The sooner you address the issue, the better your chances of minimizing the damage and getting back on track.

FBAR and Tax Implications

Let’s talk about the elephant in the room—taxes. I know, I know, it’s not the most exciting topic. But when it comes to FBAR, it’s crucial to understand how it relates to your tax obligations.

FBAR and tax return filing

First things first, filing an FBAR does not replace filing a federal tax return. They are two separate requirements. Your FBAR is filed with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), while your income tax return is filed with the IRS. 

But here’s the kicker – if you have foreign financial accounts, you may need to report the income earned on those accounts on your tax return. This is where the FBAR and your tax filing intersect.

FBAR and taxable income

So, what kind of income are we talking about? Think interest, dividends, capital gains – any income generated by your foreign accounts. And yes, this income is subject to U.S. income tax, just like your domestic income. 

But don’t worry, you can claim a foreign tax credit for taxes paid to a foreign country on that income. It’s the IRS’s way of saying, “We feel your pain.”

FBAR and tax credits

Speaking of credits, did you know that filing an FBAR can actually help you claim certain tax credits? For example, the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion allows you to exclude a certain amount of foreign-earned income from your taxable income. 

But to claim this exclusion, you need to prove that you were living and working abroad – and your FBAR can help do just that. The bottom line? While the FBAR is separate from your income tax return, the two are definitely intertwined. So, ensure you’re dotting your i’s and crossing your t’s on both fronts.

FBAR Reporting Thresholds

Now, let’s dive into the nitty-gritty of FBAR reporting thresholds. When do you need to file an FBAR? What accounts need to be reported? And how do you determine the value of those accounts?

Aggregate value threshold

The magic number for FBAR filing is $10,000. If the total value of your foreign financial accounts exceeds $10,000 at any point during the calendar year, you must file an FBAR. But the important part is that $10,000 threshold is an aggregate amount. This means you must add up the maximum values of all your foreign accounts to determine if you meet the threshold.

Maximum account value

To calculate the maximum value of an account, you need to use the exchange rate on the last day of the calendar year. This is where things can get a bit tricky, especially if you have accounts in multiple currencies. Suppose you have a foreign bank account that hit a maximum value of â¬15,000 during the year. To determine if you meet the FBAR threshold, you must convert that amount to U.S. dollars using the exchange rate on December 31st.

Currency conversion

Regarding currency conversion, the FBAR requires all amounts to be reported in U.S. dollars. If your account is maintained in a foreign currency, you must use the Treasury’s Financial Management Service rate on the last day of the calendar year. 

And if you’re really unlucky and the Treasury doesn’t provide an exchange rate for your particular currency, you’ll need to use a published commercial exchange rate. Just make sure to maintain a record of the exchange rate used.

Special FBAR Situations

As with most things in life, there are always exceptions to the rule. The FBAR is no different. Let’s take a look at some special situations that may affect your FBAR filing requirements.

FBAR for retirement accounts

If you have a foreign retirement account, like a Canadian RRSP or a UK pension scheme, you may wonder if it needs to be reported on your FBAR. The answer is – it depends. 

If your retirement account is held at a foreign financial institution and you have a direct ownership interest in the account, it likely needs to be reported. However, if your account is held by a U.S. institution that invests in foreign securities on your behalf, it may be exempt.

FBAR for military personnel

Are you a member of the military stationed abroad? If so, you may have a foreign financial account that you use for your day-to-day transactions. But do you need to report it on your FBAR? The answer is yes but with a caveat. 

Your account must not be reported if it is held at a U.S. military banking facility. However, if you have an account at an international financial institution, even if it’s located on a U.S. military base, it must be reported if it meets the threshold.

FBAR for spouses

If you’re married and filing a joint tax return, you may wonder how that affects your FBAR filing requirements. The good news is that you and your spouse can file a joint FBAR as long as you both own the accounts. 

But what if only one spouse has an interest in the account? In that case, the spouse with the interest must file the FBAR, even if you’re filing a joint tax return.

FBAR for minors

If your child has a foreign financial account, must they file an FBAR? The answer is yes if the account meets the reporting threshold. 

But here’s the good news – if your child is under 18 and the account is jointly owned by a parent, the parent can file the FBAR on the child’s behalf. One less thing to worry about, right? 

The key takeaway here is that while the FBAR rules may seem straightforward, there are always exceptions and special situations to consider. When in doubt, it’s best to consult a tax professional to ensure you meet all your reporting requirements.

Final Thoughts

So, what is FBAR? It’s the key to staying compliant with foreign bank account reporting. You must file if you have over $10,000 in foreign accounts. 

Remember, the deadline is April 15th, but you can get an automatic extension to October 15th. And trust me, you don’t want to mess around with those penalties. They can sting. For more information or to work with highly experienced tax professionals, contact Dimov Tax today!

Need some help? Please fill out the form below and one of our specialists will get back to you immediately.

"*" indicates required fields

✓ Valid number ✕ Invalid number