Capital gains provide an excellent opportunity for proactive tax planning due to a variety of minimization/tax elimination strategies available in the tax code. In cases where you must simply pay tax, it also makes sense to hire a CPA/accounting professional to help you compute and plan for the tax bill.
Capital gains are a common situation for our client base & may result from:
- Equity compensation, vested shares, RSUs, etc.
- Sale of a primary residence or rental property
- Liquidation of stock portfolio or inherited assets
- Sale of business interest or sale of entire company
For these types of situations, we are frequently approached with the following questions:
- How much tax should I set aside for this proposed situation (planning)?
- Are there any tax-saving strategies for me available for me to limit my capital gains?
- Can I use tax-loss harvesting techniques to optimize my tax obligation?
- Can you assist with filing my annual tax return?
- Should I make estimated tax payments, and if so, how much?
- How are state taxes computed?
- Are there better tax outcomes if I wait?
- If I am selling a rental property, how is depreciation recapture accounted for?
- If I am selling inherited assets, what is my “cost basis?”
- Can I construct a plan for more than one year of equity vesting, exercises, and sales?
These (and more) are all common scenarios that we compute for our clients.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to get started with an analysis, tax return, or to book a consultation with a CPA/senior accountant to discuss strategy.
Need some help? Please fill out the form below and one of our specialists will get back to you immediately.
7 thoughts on “Capital Gains Taxation”
72-year-old combat vet with VA loan on primary, retired from paramedic firefighter, approx. 90k/yr. ; married to disabled, legally-blind 60-yr-old. We recently sold rental for $600k, purchased 30-yrs ago for $206k, current cap.gains figured by tax advisor at $160K. Can you do better?
Hi! It is not possible to gauge your tax outcome without knowing how much you have in accumulated depreciation, passive unallowed activity losses, withholdings from other sources, etc. I will send you an email now with a quote for services – we can go into details if you would like to hire us on a consulting basis to review the work of your tax advisor.
i am an agent in Cabo San lucas. i have a listing on a property to be sold. The seller has Resident status, is married and will probably sell quickly. what is he liable for as far as capital gains?
This entirely depends on the tax profile of the person selling the property as well as the cost basis of the property as adjusted by transaction costs & capital improvements.
I need a CPA for capital gains taxes. Sold a hse in NYC for 1.25 million dollars ( May 17, 2022) which I purchased for $95,000 around 1994.
I need a CPA for capital gains taxes. Sold a hse in NYC for 1.25 million dollars ( May 17, 2022) which I purchased for $95,000 around 1994. I would like to purchase more property but want taxes figured out 1st so I know what I’m working for.
Thank you for your message! This is a common topic of consultation.
Did you need to analyze the situation verbally or did you want a numerical analysis that calculates your tax obligation based on the variables that you would like to evaluate?